- 10 digit numbers, prefixed with 04.
- Mobile Number portability commenced in 2001.
- The MNP portability platform is an industry initiative, peer to peer, XML message based interface running on a private IP network (PIPN).
- Management of the MNP initiative is via a forum known as the MAG (MNP administration group).
- Allocation is still block based and managed by the regulator ACMA (Australian Communications and Media Authority).
- 10 digit fixed line geographic numbers, prefixed with 02, 03, 07 and 08.
- Local Number portability commenced in 1999.
- The LNP portability platform is an industry initiative, peer to peer, FTP file based message interface running over bilateral point to point network connections.
- Management of the LNP initiative is via working groups managed by Communications Alliance (who are responsible for supervising number portability in Australia under a self-regulatory mandate).
- Allocation is still block based and managed by the regulator ACMA.
Freephone & Local Rate Numbers
- Freephone: 10 digit numbers prefixed with 1800 that are free to call from any fixed line number in Australia.
- Local Rate: 6 and 8 digit numbers prefixed with 13 and 1300 that are charged as a local rate call from any fixed line number in Australia.
- Freephone & Local Rate Number portability commenced in 2000.
- The FLRN platform is an industry initiative, centralised, with an XML message (and browser) based interface accessed via VPN links.
- The FLRN initiative is managed by INMS (Industry Number Management Services) on behalf of ACMA.